Our take on the classic combo of tender and tangy pulled pork and crunchy cabbage slaw begins with a recipe for Easy Smoked Pork Shoulder. Season the meat with Pork Perfect and swap out Tupelo Two-Step for Cousin Vinegar Carolina-Style Barbecue Sauce, using the latter to baste the pork every 30 minutes as it smokes. Allow the cooked meat to rest at least 30 minutes, until it’s still warm but not hot, before shredding it with two forks; season with additional Cousin Vinegar as desired for a tangy kick. The pulled pork can be prepared and refrigerated up to 3 days in advance; just warm it in a baking dish or Dutch oven at 325 F until it's heated through.
Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Cabbage Slaw and Cousin Vinegar
Makes up to 8 Sandwiches
- One recipe Easy Smoked Pork Shoulder seasoned with Pork Perfect
- Cousin Vinegar Carolina-style Barbecue Sauce, for basting and serving
- Hamburger or brioche buns, for serving
For the Slaw:
- 1 small head green or red cabbage, outer leaves removed, shredded
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- ½ cup mayonnaise, preferably Duke’s (plus more as desired for creaminess)
- Dash of hot sauce (such as Crystal or Cholula)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
To make the slaw, combine the shredded cabbage and the lime juice in a mixing bowl, sprinkle with the salt and toss to combine. Allow the cabbage to macerate in the salt and acid for 5 minutes. Add the onion, carrot, mayonnaise, hot sauce, and several grindings of black pepper and toss well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt, hot sauce, or mayo, as needed for a bright flavor and creamy texture.
Serve the warm pulled pork with the slaw, buns, and Cousin Vinegar on the side, and let everyone assemble their own masterpiece.
Find Fire & Smoke Society products near you using our Retail Locator!